The Anti-Speculation Work Group arose out of passage of Senate Bill 20-048 sponsored by Senators Donovan and Coram and Representatives Roberts and Catlin and signed by Governor Polis on March 11, 2021.
Senate Bill 20-048 requires the Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Natural Resources to convene a work group to explore ways to strengthen current anti-speculation law and to report to the water resources review committee by August 15, 2021, regarding any recommended changes. The Work Group is co-chaired by Kevin Rein, State Engineer, and Scott Steinbrecher, Assistant Deputy Attorney General.
On August 13, 2021, the Department of Natural Resources delivered the Work Group’s Anti-Speculation Law Report to the members of the Water Resources Review Committee. The report, titled SB 20-048 - Report of the Work Group to Explore Ways to Strengthen Current Water Anti-Speculation Law, is the culmination of the Work Group’s efforts to fulfill the provisions of SB20-048.
For a copy of the report click here: Final Report
- Kevin Rein (Co-Chair), State Engineer, Division of Water Resources
- Scott Steinbrecher (Co-Chair), Assistant Deputy Attorney General, Attorney General’s Office
- Tracy Kosloff, Deputy State Engineer, Division of Water Resources
- Erin Light, Division 6 Engineer, Division of Water Resources
- Lauren Ris, Deputy Director, Colorado Water Conservation Board
- Amy Ostdiek, Deputy Section Chief, Colorado Water Conservation Board
- Alex Funk, Agricultural Water Resource Specialist, Colorado Water Conservation Board
- Justice Gregory Hobbs Jr., Colorado Supreme Court Justice (ret.)
- Joe Bernal, Bernal Farms
- Daris Jutten, Lazy K Bar Land and Cattle Co.
- Joe Frank, General Manager, Lower South Platte Water Conservancy District
- Larry Clever, General Manager, Ute Water Conservancy District
- Alex Davis, Water Resources Division Manager, Aurora Water
- Peggy Montaño, Trout Raley
- Peter Fleming, General Counsel to the Colorado River District
- Adam Reeves, Maynes, Bradford, Shipps and Sheftel LLP
- Steve Leonhardt, Burns, Figa & Will
- Drew Peternell, Colorado Director, Trout Unlimited
- Kate Ryan, Senior Attorney, Colorado Water Trust
No further meetings scheduled.